Friday, December 9, 2011

We have a baby!

Our little Carrie Jean was born early Sunday morning.  She was 6 lbs. 14 oz and 20 1/2 inches long and a beautiful sweet little baby girl.  She had trouble keeping her oxygen levels up after she was born, so they took her off to the NICU.  She was very sick and they had all sorts of tubes and wires and machines hooked up to her.  Sunday was very scary and we really could have lost her.  I don't think I realized how serious things were until they started getting better. The doctor on call and the nurses kept trying different things and finally got her stabilized, I've been so grateful for them.  Also, I am so grateful for modern medicine! She has been slowly improving and may come home at the end of next week. It's so weird and hard to not be able hold and love on her.  Sunday I got to hold her for maybe 30 minutes before she went to the NICU and total holding time since then has been probably 30 minutes.  But we are getting to hold her now.  Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday we could only look and barely touch. But now we can hold her for a little while once a day-that feels so good!  She is not on a ventilator anymore, no more nitric oxide, no more blood pressure medicines, fewer monitors, and eating through a tube instead of just an iv. Tomorrow she may get to try a bottle and if that goes well, I may be able to nurse her soon.  We are anxious for her to get better and be able to bring her home and meet her big brother and sister.  
Here she is before all of her machines got hooked up.
Bathtime! This is Carrie today being a little bit more alert and sort of awake.

And here she is right after she was born. 

2 comments:

emuli said...

congratulations!!! I'm so excited you got another beautiful baby girl!!! But I am sorry that things have gotten crazy since she arrived. I'm so glad that things are getting better. I can't wait for her to come home, either. I love you, and we're thinking of you.

The Idaho Neumanns said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! I know how difficult it can be to have one baby in the NICU and your other baby (in your case babies) at home. Many hugs and lots of courage being sent to you! I really hope all goes well with nursing. MaKenna needed some cranial sacral therapy and then she took off, she nursed for over 2 years. I am happy to help in any way. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Huge hugs! Please call anytime, 2322259.